Mom and 2-year-old child fall to their deaths in Petco Park tragedy

A woman and her 2-year-old child died after falling six stories from the dining concourse at Petco Park in San Diego on Saturday night, police confirmed.

The unidentified 40-year-old mother and child fell at around 3:50 p.m., ahead of the 4:15 p.m. Padres-Braves game, police told KSWB-TV.

Emergency responders arrived and performed CPR on both the mother and her child for 20 minutes before they were pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

The two fell from the third level of the stadium, near Tony Gwynn and L Street, which were shut down as authorities investigated.

Police expressed sympathy and concern not only for the families of the deceased, but also those who witnessed the horrible, potentially traumatic accident.

“It’s a tragic event,” San Diego Police Lt. Andra Brown told KSWB. “We feel horrible for the families and our hearts obviously go out to the family members, but also the people here that potentially could be traumatized.”

The 40-year-old woman and her child were pronounced dead at the scene where they fell an estimated six stories at Petco Park on Saturday night.
Fox 5 San Diego

Police are investigating whether the fall was accidental, and were speaking with the child’s father, who is not married to the mother.

“We do not know the circumstances surrounding it,” Brown said. “We do not know if it was accidental or intentional.”

Padres’ Vice President of Communications Craigh Hughner said in a statement that the organization is aware of the incident, 

The tragedy occurred moments before the Padres game started at Petco Park.
The tragedy occurred moments before the Padres game started at Petco Park.
Getty Images

“Due to the ongoing investigation, we are not able to comment further at this time. All media inquiries should be directed to SDPD,” Hughner said.

Padres fan Brian Howell told NBC 7 that police and stadium crews kept fans away from certain areas of the stadium. He said most fans were unaware of what had happened.

“They were just keeping us away from that area, we thought it was standard protocol but everyone along this side was keeping us out of that area,” Howell said. “All we heard was that there might have been an unfortunate incident.”

Source link

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button