The Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty20 cricket tournament has been indefinitely suspended following the COVID-19 crisis in the country, IPL chairman Brijesh Patel says.
- The IPL chairman said he could not say when the tournament would be rescheduled
- India’s coronavirus tally hit 20 million cases earlier today
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India will “do everything in its powers” to arrange the “safe passage of all the participants”
The decision was made after an emergency meeting with the Indian Premier League Governing Council (IPL GC) and Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
“The tournament stands suspended, we are looking for another window,” Mr Patel said.
“Right now we can’t say when we can reschedule it.”
The IPL said in a statement: “The BCCI does not want to compromise on the safety of the players, support staff and the other participants involved in organising the IPL.
“This decision was taken keeping the safety, health and wellbeing of all the stakeholders in mind.
“These are difficult times, especially in India and while we have tried to bring in some positivity and cheer, however, it is imperative that the tournament is now suspended and everyone goes back to their families and loved ones in these trying times.
“The BCCI will do everything in its powers to arrange for the secure and safe passage of all the participants in IPL 2021.”
Australian fast bowler Pat Cummins and his Kolkata Knight Riders teammates had already been isolating after two cases were reported amongst the squad yesterday.
Two non-playing members of the Chennai Super Kings franchise also contracted the virus in Delhi.
India’s tally of coronavirus infections surged past 20 million on Tuesday, following 357,229 new cases over the last 24 hours, as the country battles a second wave of the disease.